A study on video streaming says user generated content is driving video markets “outside the firewall” with the delivery of such content reaching $1.8 billion in 2011 and is anticipated to reach $5.8 billion by 2018.
The study—Video Streaming Outside The Firewall Market Shares, Strategies, and Forecasts, Worldwide, 2012 to 2018—by WinterGreen Research Inc., an independent research organization, says, “Worldwide markets are poised to achieve outstanding growth as people look for video content online and enterprises go outside the firewall to get content for employees.”
Current video content delivery on the Internet is all about content and infrastructure, with infrastructure needed to manage end point devices, while content “is almost an afterthought” once the infrastructure is in place, the report says.
However, as better video tools become more widely available, the quality of user-generated content will converge with professional video, the report says. In addition, there has often been little or no charge for uploading user-generated content resulting in data centers “replete with exabytes of user-generated content that, in addition to creating a corporate asset, may also contain data that can be regarded as a liability,” the study says.
Eventually, the vision of video content delivery will change as the way media is accessed and consumed. “User generated content represents a move away from entirely professional content to some content captured on the fly,” the study says.
The report cites YouTube, which has experienced strong growth in mobile viewers and has established key partnerships with content companies to help monetize mobile video. Among the effects content growth is having on YouTube are:
- More than three billion views per day
- 48 hours of video uploaded every minute
- More video is uploaded to YouTube in one month than the three major U.S. television networks created in 60 years
- 60 hours of video are uploaded every minute, or one hour of video is uploaded to YouTube every second.
- Over four billion videos are viewed a day
- Over 800 million unique users visit YouTube each month
- Over three billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube