NEWARK, N.J. — Panasonic, a manufacturer of mobile computers since 1996, announced updates to the Toughbook 31, its popular rugged laptop. The updated Toughbook 31 offers up to 18 hours of standard battery life — 27 hours with an optional second battery — as well as improved connectivity and performance boosts over the previous model. With its fully sealed design that delivers durability to meet MIL-STD-810G and IP65 specifications, including a six-foot drop rating, the Toughbook 31 is a favorite of emergency service professionals, utility workers and others who need to stay connected and productive in the most extreme environments.
Powered by the new Intel Core i5-5300U vPro processor, (3 MB cache, 2.3 GHz up to 2.9 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology) the updated Toughbook 31 also delivers desktop-class performance. Other improvements include enhanced graphics with the Intel HD 5500 integrated graphics processor — important for geographic information system (GIS) and military logistics applications.
With features including a shock-mounted, flex-connect quick-release hard drive; sunlight-viewable touchscreen; and a magnesium alloy case with handle, the unit has been certified by an independent third-party testing lab to meet 19 MIL-STD-810G tests, including shock, drop, vibration, extreme temperature and high altitude. The Toughbook 31 offers protection from drops of up to six feet and has achieved an IP65 rating for protection from water and dust.
Panasonic Toughbook 31: Key Improvements
• Advanced Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro Update 64-bit or Windows 7 Professional (available through downgrade rights from Windows 8.1 Pro)
• Next-Generation Processor: 5th Generation Intel Core i5-5300U vPro Processor (3MB cache, 2.3 GHz up to 2.9GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology)
• Improved Battery Life: Up to 18 hours of continuous use depending on usage conditions (up to 27 hours with optional second battery)
• Enhanced Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 5500
• Expanded Connectivity: Now supports Wi-Fi ac in addition to older networks with Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 (a/b/g/n/ac); Wi-Fi ac offers faster speeds and longer ranges than previous standards
The Toughbook 31 maintains consistent vehicle docking capabilities with a platform footprint virtually identical to past flagship products. This allows customers to upgrade Toughbook computers without replacing vehicle docks, significantly lowering the total cost of ownership.