NEWARK, N.J. — Panasonic, a manufacturer of a wide range of video, audio and computing products, announced the launch of the Toughpad FZ-B2, a rugged seven-inch tablet powered by Android for field-based workforces. With durability, power and a range of configurability options — at a price within reach of any business — the Toughpad FZ-B2 is targeted for field service, inspections, reporting or as an upgrade from clipboards and pen-and-paper processes.
Running the Android 4.4 operating system and powered by a quad-core Intel Celeron processor, the Toughpad FZ-B2 offers exclusive features not available on any consumer-grade tablet. These include enhanced enterprise features; a quick-charging, user-replaceable full-shift battery with optional bridge battery and high-capacity battery; a five-point capacitive multitouch screen that works even when the user is wearing gloves, as well as with a fine tip stylus pen; and a wide range of configuration options to allow organizations to customize the tablet for their workforces.
With its rugged, MIL-STD-810G sealed IP65 dust and water-resistant design, the lightweight Toughpad FZ-B2 is built for long-lasting durability even when regularly used in harsh environments. Like Panasonic’s entire range of enterprise-grade mobile computers, it is designed for longer life cycle management and for smooth deployments and ongoing support, providing a lower total cost of ownership.
“Android tablets are becoming an increasingly attractive option in the enterprise, particularly for small and mid-sized businesses. However, many of the tablets available on the market today are simply too unreliable and flimsy for businesses looking for a smart, dependable long-term investment,” said Dan Diliberti, senior product development for tablet and payment systems at Panasonic System Communications Company. “The Toughpad FZ-B2 is built to many of the same specifications as our best-selling 7-inch Windows-powered Toughpad FZ-M1 tablet, assuring customers they can take advantage of the benefits of the Android platform without sacrificing on durability and enterprise-grade features.”
Toughpad FZ-B2: Key Specifications
• Tested to meet MIL-STD-810G specifications for drops (up to five feet, shock, vibration, altitude, humidity and extreme temperatures. IP65 fully sealed fanless design
• Portability: 1.2 lbs., 0.71-inches thin (standard configuration)
• Display: Seven-inch daylight-readable, anti-reflective WXGA (1280x800) LCD with wide viewing angles and strengthened glass
• Processor: Intel Celeron N2930 Processor (2 MB Cache, Quad-core 1.83 GHz up to 2.16 GHz)
• Operating System: Android 4.4
• Storage and Memory: 2GB RAM and 32GB eMMC storage
• Battery: Approx. 7 hours operating time (user-replaceable), charging to full capacity in approx. 2.5 hours when powered off. Optional bridge battery, enabling users to switch out batteries without powering down the device, and optional high capacity battery (14 hours) available
• Input: five-point capacitive glove-enabled multi-touch screen that works with a stylus pen
• Camera: 5MP rear camera with auto focus and LED light; 720P built-in front camera with dual mics
• Connectivity: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC7260 Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth® v4.0 (Class 1), USB 3.0, micro SDHC card slot, docking connector, and optional dual high-gain antenna pass-through. The Toughpad FZ-B2 offers optional 4G LTE embedded wireless broadband with satellite GPS
• Available Configuration Options: Barcode reader, Ethernet, half-insertable SmartCard reader, Magnetic Stripe reader
• Accessories: The Toughpad FZ-B2 is compatible with a variety of accessories available now for the Toughpad FZ-M1 tablet, including hand and shoulder straps, holsters, vehicle and desktop cradle, cases, keyboards, charging solutions and mobile printers.
The Toughpad FZ-B2 will be available February 2015 at a list price of $1,299.